This past year, nearly every QuoteWerks customer that installed Avalara for QuoteWerks wanted to make sure that applying tax exemption on customer quotes was automatic, just like the rest of the tax compliance automation. The majority are pulling the exemption status from ConnectWise, but we have consulted on the setup with Dynamics, SalesForce, QuickBooks, Sage Accounting and Great Plains too. A pattern emerged and here we are, with a well documented set of steps to automatically pull in exemption status from ConnectWise to QuoteWerks, which is also a blueprint for all the popular systems.
Avalara’s CertCapture offering takes this concept to the next level, relieving businesses of the burden of keeping their customer’s exemption certificates on file and tracking when they expire, not to mention asking customers for new certs. This is the “hands free” option if you use QuoteWerks and some of your customers are tax exempt.
Whether you are upgrading or just jumping on board with sales tax automation, Get The Download.
Basic install takes about 30 minutes to get up and running with automated address validation and tax rates. If you run into a snag, send us a note. We are here to help.
What’s New in 2.2?
- Avalara CertCapture – Exemption Management Automated: Subscribers of Avalara CertCapture now have tax exemptions automatically applied to customers in QuoteWerks.
- Tax Exemption from ConnectWise (and other CRMs): Automatically pull in the exemption code from ConnectWise on Contact Record Lookup in QuoteWerks. Sales will never need to remember which customers are exempt. This is configurable for other CRMs too.
Other tiny joys in life:
- Resolved a condition in the Admin where Tax Line Item Field default values may not save
- When managing tax as a line item, the ItemType is now set to ‘TAX’ so that it may be easily filtered out of the QuoteWerks Purchasing Window
- The admin setting “Omit tax line from document (Don’t Print)” now also applies when tax is moved to a line item after Convert To Invoice. Previously this setting was applied only when managing tax as a line item was checked.
- Added a setting to “Allow tax lookup after AvaTax Commit” to continue to perform tax calculations after the document is committed as a record in AvaTax. Only applicable after converting tax to a line item following a particular workflow to outside accounting systems.
- Address line 3 is no longer longer validated or updated. It often contains “Attention” or “Care Of (c/o)” information and is not typically relevant for geolocation.
Check out the new Setup Guide to see the different ways and steps involved to automate sales tax on the whole, and just added, applying tax exempt statuses across systems.
Humbly at your service,
Tom “Monty” Montgomery
Co-Founder | ConnectTax